Three Sisters Tacos (sweet potato, corn & black bean)
Recipe Courtesy of Save A Lot Test Kitchen
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. Medeiros vegetable oil
- ½ med. Red onion, ½ inch diced (1 cup)
- ¼ tsp. Marcum ground black pepper
- 1 lb. Sweet potatoes, ½ inch diced (about 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, 3-3 ½ cups)
- 1 can (15 oz.) Wylwood black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) Pickwell Farms canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 Limes, juiced (2 Tbsp. juice)
- pinch Marcum salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 Tio Santi medium whole wheat flour tortillas
- Garnishes as desired such as shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced onion, salsa and sour cream
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Add the diced onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sweet potatoes will form dark golden-brown toast points as they cook.
- Meanwhile, prepare any toppings such as chopping lettuce, tomatoes and onion.
- During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the drained and rinsed black beans and corn and the lime juice to the skillet. Mix well.
- Ensure that the sweet potatoes are fork tender; they may need a few additional minutes of cook time to reach desired doneness. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Use a dry skillet or griddle pan to warm the tortillas. Heat on high and toast for about 1 minute per side.
- Add about ¾ cup of taco filling to the tortillas and garnish as desired.