Southwestern Shepherd’s Pie
Prep Time 0
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey, beef or pork
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 1 small bag of frozen peas
- 1 small bag of frozen corn
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 can of black beans (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, divided
- One packet of taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
NotesIf you are a vegetarian, just replace the protein with lentils and the chicken stock with vegetable stock. If you want it less spicy, just leave out the taco seasoning. Not a fan of corn or peas? Carrots and green beans work great with this recipe. Just have fun and don’t stress!
- In a medium pot, add potatoes and cover with water, bring to a boil and them simmer for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and return to pot. Add cream, salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 cup chicken stock. Mash to preferred consistency.
- n a large skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until translucent. Add ground protein. Cook thoroughly. Reduce heat.
- dd remaining chicken stock and taco seasoning. Next, add peas, carrots and black beans and peppers. Cook until frozen vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Grease a 9x12 casserole dish. Add meat/vegetable mixture. Top with potatoes. Cover with foil. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place casserole in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes begin to brown. Serve immediately.