Serves Yields 18 cookies
Prep Time 35 minutes
Cook Time 13-15 minutes
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup jam or Hazel Nutter spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet pan.
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl (or the bowl of an electric stand mixer) and use a hand mixer to beat butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix until it is fully incorporated. Then add the egg yolk and vanilla. Set bowl to the side.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. If the batter is too soft to roll, refrigerate it for 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy. Dip each dough ball, one at a time, into the egg whites and then roll into the finely chopped nuts.
- Place the dough balls on the prepared pan 2-inches apart. Use the tip of your thumb to indent a small hole in the center of the dough ball. Fill with ½ teaspoon of your favorite flavor jam. If using Hazel Nutter spread, fill the thumbprints after baking.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Remove from pan to cool. Store in airtight container.