Prep Time 15
Cook Time 10
- 1 cup (softened) Butter
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Iodized Salt
- 1/2 cup (optional) Chopped Nuts
- 1 cup Thumbprint Fillings
- 1 bottle Icing
NotesGet creative with the filling! Using fresh fruit or fruit preserves makes these cookies look irresistible.
- Combine the flour and salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar on high speed until well-blended. Add the yolks and vanilla and beat once more. Gradually add the flour to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in chopped nuts, if using.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on un-greased baking sheets. Carefully use your thumb to make a thumbprint in the middle of each cookie, just enough of a dip to hold the cookie filling. (Do not fill cookies yet.)
- Bake at 375?F for 8-10 minutes, or until cookie bottoms are very lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
- Once cookies are cool, add your fillings and icing. Your choice of fillings for the thumbprint: candied cherries, melted chocolate, raspberry jam.
- (NOTE: If using candied cherries, fill cookies halfway through baking.)