Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake
Recipe Courtesy of Save A Lot Test Kitchen
Prep Time 15 Minutes
Cook Time 55 - 65 Minutes
- 10 Tbsp. Coburn Farms butter (1 ¼ stick), divided
- 1 (size) can Ginger Evans apple pie filling
- 1 ½ cups Ginger Evans all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. Ginger Evans baking powder
- 1 tsp. Marcum salt
- 1 tsp. Marcum ground cinnamon
- 2 Good Nature eggs
- ⅔ cup Ginger Evans granulated sugar
- ½ cup Coburn Farms milk
- 1 tsp. Marcum vanilla extract
- ½ cup Bramley’s apple butter or Pickwell Farms cinnamon apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper in a circle so that it sits in the bottom of the pan; grease the parchment paper.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and pour into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Pour the apple pie filling into the bottom off the cake pan; spread it in an even layer. Set pan to the side
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla, apple butter, and 6 tablespoons melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour batter into cake pan, on top of the apple pie filling. Do not mix.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Place a large plate over the cake and carefully invert the cake onto the plate. Remove the cake pan and gently peel back the parchment paper.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before cutting. Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.