Recipe Courtesy of Save A Lot Test Kitchen
Prep Time 30 minutes + 2 ½ hours in refrigerator
Cook Time 15 minutes
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- ⅔ cup Ginger Evans granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Ginger Evans cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. Marcum salt
- ⅓ cup Ginger Evans unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ cups Coburn Farms milk
- 4 Good Nature eggs, yolks only
- 2 Tbsp. Coburn Farms unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. Marcum vanilla extract
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- 2 cups Coburn Farms cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Evans granulated sugar
- 1 (14.3-oz.) package Sunny’s chocolate Creamsations sandwich cookies, crushed
- Gummy candy worms (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, off the heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa.
- Gradually add the milk and whisk to avoid any clumping.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. The egg whites can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 says. Whisk the egg yolks into the milk mixture. Mixture should be very smooth.
- Turn on the heat to medium-low and whisk constantly until pudding thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour the pudding into a 9x13-inch glass casserole dish and use a spatula to spread it in an even layer. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- To make the whipped cream, place heavy whipping cream and sugar in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or use a large mixing bowl with hand mixer. Mix on medium-high speed until cream is thick and has slightly sturdy peaks.
- To assemble the Dirt Trifle, gently spread the whipped cream on top of the pudding, being careful not to deflate the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the crushed cookies over the whipped cream and arrange gummy candy worms on the cookies. Chill for at least 30 minutes and enjoy!
- ote: instant chocolate pudding mix and creamy whip topping may be substituted for the homemade versions.