With Vanilla Wafers
Recipe Courtesy of Save A Lot Test Kitchen
Serves 12 servings (⅔ cup each)
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 10 Minutes
- ¾ cup Ginger Evans granulated sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup Ginger Evans all-purpose flour
- Pinch Marcum salt
- 3 Good Nature eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 cups Coburn Farms milk
- ½ tsp. Marcum vanilla extract
- 11-oz. Sunny’s box vanilla wafer cookies
- 4 large bananas, sliced ¼-inch thick rounds
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Set up double boiler by bringing a pot of water to a boil and resting a metal or glass mixing bowl on top of the pot without it touching the water.
- Combine ½ cup sugar, flour and a pinch of salt in the mixing bowl. Whisk in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook over the double boiler, stirring constantly, for 10 -12 minutes or until custard is thickened.
- Carefully remove mixing bowl from double boiler and stir in vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, push the custard through a fine mesh strainer to ensure there are no clumps.
- In the bottom of a 1 ½ quart baking dish, spread ½ cup of custard. Continue layering with 14 vanilla wafers, ⅓ of the banana slices, and ½ cup of custard. Repeat layers 2 additional times, ending with a final custard layer.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually mix in ¼ cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over custard, sealing to the edges of the dish.
- Bake 10 minutes or until meringue topping is lightly browned. Cool slightly or serve chilled. Garnish with vanilla wafers before serving.