Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 55 - 60 minutes
- 3 eggs, divided
- 2 15-oz. canned cut sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained
- 1 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 ½ tsp. Marcum ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups biscuit & baking mix
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2 ½-quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- Use an electric mixer with the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites into stiff peaks. Remove egg whites to a separate bowl for later use.
- Add the drained sweet potatoes to the same large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Use a paddle attachment to beat the sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks, milk, melted butter, cinnamon, paprika and ground black pepper. Mix until smooth.
- Mix in the biscuit & baking mix until there are no large clumps. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To serve, use a large spoon to scoop out pieces of the bread.