Potato pancakes are an Eastern European staple and a comfort food in North America as well.
Serves 8 - 10 Potato Pancakes
Prep Time 15 Minutes
Cook Time 15 Minutes
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups raw grated golden potato
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp 2% milk
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 medium potato, cooked and mashed; OR ½ cup leftover mashed potatoes
- Sour Cream (Optional)
- Grate potatoes and tightly squeeze out extra water from the potatoes.
- Prick a potato a few times with a fork and microwave on high for 7-10 minutes. Allow potato to cool, then peel off skin and mash potato with a fork.
- In a mixing bowl, combine grated potato, egg, milk, flour, salt, pepper and cooked mashed potato. Dough will be sticky.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a 10-inch sauté pan or skillet.
- Carefully place ¼ cup of potato mixture into pan and press with a spatula until it its about ½ inch thick.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until potato pancake is crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt immediately after removing pancake from the oil.
- Serve hot with sour cream (optional).