7 Layer Black Bean Dip
A Crowd Pleasing Classic
Prep Time 20
Cook Time 0
- For the Pico de Gallo:
- 1 dry pint (10 oz) of grape tomatoes, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno, seeds & stems removed, finely diced
- 1 tbsp of lime juice (from 1-2 limes)
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- For the 7 Layer Dip:
- 1 1/2 cups of full-fat sour cream (about 1 whole 16 oz container)
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 2 (15 oz) cans of refried black beans
- 1 cup of salsa verde (or tomatillo salsa)
- 4-5 small avocados, peel & pits removed, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of prepared pico de gallo, divided (see recipe above)
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of crumbled cotija cheese
- 7 oz of black olives (about 1/2 a 15 oz can), drained & sliced
- 1/4 cup of pickled jalapeno slices (optional)
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onion
- Corn tortilla chips OR Cassava flour tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine all the ingredients for the pico de gallo in a mixing bowl, stir well, and set aside.
- In a second bowl, mix the sour cream and taco seasoning together, then set aside.
- In a third mixing bowl, combine the refried black beans and salsa verde.
- Spread the refried beans in an even layer across the bottom of an 8-inch by 11-inch baking dish. Top the beans with an even layer of the seasoned sour cream (use a spoon or spatula to smooth it).
- Next, evenly layer the chopped avocado over the sour cream. Spoon 1/2 of the pico de gallo in an even layer over the top of the avocado layer. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the pico de gallo layer, followed by the crumbled cotija cheese.
- Spoon the other half of the pico de gallo in an even layer over the cotija cheese, followed by the sliced black olives, then pickled jalapenos (optional) and finally the sliced green onion.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips or store in the fridge until ready to use. This dip can be served room temperature, warm, or cold and will last several days in the fridge (although the pico & sour cream layers will get a bit juicy - it