Apple Turnover French Toast
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup margarine quarters (12 Tbsp.)
- 1 ½ tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon + extra
- 1 21-oz. can apple pie filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 10 slices white sandwich bread, sliced in half on the diagonal
- Combine brown sugar, margarine, honey and cinnamon in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook this caramel mixture for 5 minutes.
- Pour caramel mixture into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Pour apple pie filling evenly over the caramel.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip bread slices into egg mixture and arrange over apple filling. Arrange bread triangles in two rows, with bread slices slightly over-lapping one another.
- Drizzle any remaining egg mixture onto the bread slices. Sprinkle with a few pinches of ground cinnamon.
- Refrigerate overnight or several hours.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, use a spatula to remove 4 triangles from the pan and spoon on apple syrup.