Slow Cooker Italian Shredded Beef Sandwiches
Recipe Courtesy of Save A Lot Test Kitchen
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 4-5 hours on high power or 8-9 hours on low power
- Italian shredded beef:
- 2-2 ½ lbs. beef bottom round steaks
- 1 packet (0.7-oz.) Marcum Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 tsp. Marcum Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Pickwell Farms frozen pepper and onion stir fry
- 1 cup Kurtz banana peppers with juice
- 2 cups Marcum beef broth
- Grissom’s (16-oz.) frozen Italian style garlic bread
- 4-6 slices Coburn Farms provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Mix together all the Italian shredded beef ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook covered on high for 4-5 hours or on low 8-9 hours until beef is very tender. Note: The beef will not be tender enough to shred unless it has been in the slow cooker for the entire time.
- The collagen connective tissue in low-fat cuts (such as beef bottom round) needs time to breakdown; otherwise the meat will be tough.
- Remove the beef bottom round steaks from the slow cooker and turn it off or to “keep warm”. Use two forks to shred the beef into bite-size pieces and place it back into the slow cooker.
- Bake the garlic bread according to package directions. Slice the garlic bread into 4-inch pieces.
- Assemble the sandwiches using two pieces of garlic bread. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to pile shredded beef and peppers onto the bread and top with a slice of cheese. The heat from the meat and bread will melt the cheese.
- Alternatively, broil the sandwich (open-faced) to melt the cheese. Top with the second piece of garlic bread.
- Using a ladle, remove desired amount of beef broth to small bowls for dunking.