Italian Stuffed Peppers
Recipe Courtesy of Save A Lot Test Kitchen
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 4 bell peppers, any color
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 ½ cups Mantia’s jarred tomato pasta sauce, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Marcum dry Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Dish’d instant rice, cooked
- 1 ½ cups Coburn Farms shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Marcum salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a square casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a separate small pot or in the microwave, cook the instant rice according to package directions. Note: can also use leftover cooked rice
- Meanwhile, prepare the bell peppers by slicing off the stem-top about ½-inch from the top of the pepper. Use a small knife to carefully cut out the seeds and ribs. Dice the remaining pepper tops into ½ inch squares set to the side to use in the filling.
- oil the peppers for 2-3 minutes. Carefully drain water from peppers and arrange them in the casserole dish.
- To make the filling, heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly grease with oil. Add the beef and cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 cup of pasta sauce, diced peppers and Italian seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and 1 cup shredded mozzarella to the beef and stir well until cheese is melted. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into each of the bell peppers and top with additional sauce and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.