Lentil, Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
Vegan Friendly Recipe
Recipe By: Save-A-Lot Food Stores
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth for sautéing
- 4-5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 16 oz bag uncooked lentils
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 15 oz cans cooked black beans, rinsed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- Chopped avocado for garnish (optional)
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat ½ cup of vegetable broth in large saucepan. Add chopped onions and sauté until they become soft and translucent.; about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and 4 cups of water or vegetable broth. Add lentils and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook on low for approximately 20 minutes adding more broth or water if necessary. The lentils should be almost cooked.
- Add cooked black beans and sweet potatoes. Add more broth if needed. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until sweet potato is soft. Add frozen corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt, pepper and chili powder if needed.
- Serve in large bowl and top with avocado, lime wedges or fresh cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and hot sauce.