Red Beans & Rice with Sausage
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20-25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter or vegetable oil, divided
- 12-oz. beef smoked rope sausage, ½ -inch thick round slices
- 1 medium onion, ½-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, ½ -inch slices (about ½ cup)
- 1 bell pepper, ½-inch dice (about ½ cup)
- 8-oz. New Orleans style red beans and rice mix
- 3 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Add butter or oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the smoked sausage rounds to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the sausage is evenly browned.
- Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the celery and bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the New Orleans style red beans and rice mix and water to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and thoroughly stir so that the sausage and vegetables are evenly distributed.