The foods we eat affect more than just our waistlines. They affect our skin, our vision – even our hearts. Fortunately for us, heart-healthy foods aren’t hard to find. In this article, we’ll outline some great tasting, nutritious, affordable products you can find in the aisles of your neighborhood Save A Lot.
1. Kiggins Old Fashioned Oats Whole grain oats pack a nutritional punch when it comes to being heart healthy. They are rich in carbohydrates, protein and fiber, which contribute to boosting your mood and energy levels while helping to lower bad cholesterol. Start your day off right with this delicious Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie.
2. Nutsome Omega-3 Trail Mix – Take your snacking to a new level with our Nutsome Omega-3 Trail Mix. The nuts and seeds in this mix are naturally high in omega-3 fatty acids, as well as being a good source of fiber and protein. This recipe for our Mocha Nut Granola pairs our Nutsome Omega-3 Trail Mix with Kiggins Old Fashioned Oats and instant coffee to make for a flavor combination you won’t soon forget.
3. Wylwood Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) Chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, are another tasty way to help your heart. Similar to whole grain oats, chickpeas contain heart-healthy fiber and can help lower cholesterol. Try our take on this Roasted Veggie and Hummus Naanwich next time you have a can of chickpeas on hand.
4. Portside Salmon Fillets – Salmon has long been seen as one of the most nutritious foods and there’s good reason why. It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, packed with protein and potassium and high in vitamin B. So if you are looking to take care of your heart and prepare a dish you’re sure to enjoy, check out this tasty Apricot Dijon Salmon with Mediterranean Pilaf.
5. Pickwell Farms Mixed Berries Berries are a sweet treat that’s sure to satisfy a sweet tooth while also supplying the body with fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. One of the coolest ways we found to enjoy these health benefits is by pairing them with our Coburn Farms Vanilla Yogurt to create these yummy Fruit and Yogurt Pops.