Praline Pecan-Topped French Toast & Sausage Casserole
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
- 1 large loaf of French bread
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Start browning and crumbling the breakfast sausage over medium-low heat. While it's cooking, prep the other ingredients.
- Prepare a 9"x13" casserole dish by spraying it generously with cooking oil.
- Slice the French bread on the diagonal into approximately 20 slices, 3/4 to 1-inch thick.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and whisk until blended and a little foamy.
- When the sausage is browned, drain if necessary, then spread it evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Arrange the bread in 2 even rows on top of the sausage, overlapping the slices.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, making sure the slices get coated evenly. It may look like a lot of egg mixture, but the bread will soak it up like a sponge.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350° F and set the casserole out on the counter while you make the topping.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then gently stir in the pecans.
- Spoon the topping evenly over the bread, spreading it over every piece with the back of your spoon.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then slice into squares and serve with syrup!