Prep Time 0
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 6 Potatoes
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 6 slices Bacon
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Tbsp Green Onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar
- Spray Canola Cooking Spray
NotesI love to serve these potato skins. They're a very good source of iron, vitamin B-6 and fiber with chunky salsa. The potato skins you get in a restaurant are usually deep fried and very high in fat. Although we love to eat them, I worried about how bad they were for our waist lines! So I found this recipe and did some adjustments to make them just as tasty although-different from the usual type of potato skins. I top them with about two tablespoons of salsa that normally adds less than 10 calories. These are very good with my Homemade Vegetable salsa.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Scrub potatoes and prick each several times with a fork. Microwave uncovered on high until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the microwave and place on a wire rack to cool.
- When cool to the touch, cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh - leaving about 1/4 inch of the potato flesh attached to the skin. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, chili powder and hot sauce. Brush the olive oil mixture on the insides of the potato skins.
- Cut each half of the potato skin in half again crosswise. Place the potatoes onto the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl gently mix together the bacon, tomato and onions. Fill each potato skin with this mixture and sprinkle each with cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and the potato skins are heated through, about 10- 15 minutes. Serve immediately.