Here at Save A Lot, we know all about great hot dogs. After all, we’re based in St. Louis, where the 1904 World's Fair propelled the hot dog's popularity! So in honor of National Hot Dog Day, our very own St. Louis-based Registered Dietitian and Chef, Holly Faivre, created five mouthwatering recipes designed to take your dog to an entirely new level. Chef Holly takes us way beyond the traditional hot dog (ketchup, mustard, bun) and uses Save A Lot exclusive brand products to create substantial entrées the entire family will enjoy.
Some fan favorites inspired by regions across the U.S. from Chef Holly include:
• STL Slinger Dog – Breakfast slingers originated in STL. Try this slinger-inspired hot dog with hash browns, chili, cheese, bacon and an egg.
• Stromboli Dog – Stromboli is said to have originated in Philadelphia. Our take on this classic combines pizza with a pig in a blanket for an amazing hybrid.
• “Polish Boy” – Inspired by the Cleveland favorite polish sausage, this recipe goes all in with sausage, fries, coleslaw and BBQ sauce.
• “1905 Salad” Inspired Hot dog – Tampa’s well-known Columbia restaurant has a famous “1905” salad and our recipe makes it into a cool new hot dog combo, featuring iceberg lettuce, tomato, olives, ham, swiss and Italian dressing.
• Carolina BBQ Dog – Nothing beats a classic: try your dog with BBQ pulled pork, raw diced onions and mustard.