Each summer, the American Farm Bureau (AFB) releases their July 4th cookout costs. With inflation at 40-year highs, costs for this year’s spread are up 17%–but Save A Lot can help you keep your holiday budget in check.Continue reading
Treat Yourself to a Five-Minute Save A Lot Shopping Spree For All Your Grocery Favorites
Save A Lot is celebrating summer with a national sweepstakes* in which one lucky winner will receive a five-minute shopping spree at their local Save A Lot store.Continue reading
Get A Lot More Bang for Your Buck at Save A Lot: Save Up to 45 Percent on Summer Barbecue Essentials
Hometown Grocer Helps Americans Save at 850+ U.S. Stores
ST. LOUIS (June 21, 2022) – With grocery prices at a 40-year high,1 the temperature isn’t the only thing rising this summer. To help Americans lower their grocery bills, Save A Lot reveals the eight summer barbecue staples that can save shoppers up to 45 percent2 when they switch to store-owned brands.
“We know everyone’s wallets are being squeezed by skyrocketing gas prices, bigger bills at restaurants and ‘shrinkflation’ from national food brands,” said Tim Schroder, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer at Save A Lot. “At Save A Lot, we want people to feel like there’s still room to enjoy summer. We’re inviting shoppers to try our private label products for their next barbecue. We think they’ll find they’re just as good (or better) than their national brand equivalents, but they’ll spend a lot less. We’re all about giving people a lot more bang for their buck—like, a lot a lot.”
With 4th of July barbecues right around the corner, there’s no better time for shoppers to check out the savings on these must-have summer staples.
Total Cost of Save A Lot (approx. $15) vs. Total Cost of National Brands (approx. $27) — up to 45% Less2
- J. Higg’s Classic Potato Chips: Half the cost of Lays
- Sunny’s Cremesations: Half the cost of Oreos
- Crystal Falls Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade: Half the cost of ICE
- Farmington Brats: Nearly 20% less than Johnsonville
- Grissom Buns: 15% less than Ballpark
- Kurtz Ketchup: Half the cost of Heinz
- Kurtz Mustard: Half the cost of French’s
- Kurtz Hot Sauce: Half the cost of Franks
Shoppers can find these products, farm-fresh produce and fresh-cut meats at Save A Lot’s more than 850 stores in hometowns across the US.
New “A Lot Alike” Ad Campaign Spotlights Save A Lot Exclusive Brands
To stand out from other grocers that have one or two private label brands on shelf, Save A Lot has curated around 1,850 items across 55 individual brands that give shoppers a taste that matches the competition along with a unique brand experience. The discount grocer will showcase these Save A Lot exclusive brands in new ad spots, launching June 26, 2022, that pit Save A Lot brands – such as J. Higg’s, Sunny’s and Grissom’s — against their well-known national counterparts to show just how “A Lot Alike” they are (and of course, how much people can save). Private label brands account for nearly 70 percent of Save A Lot’s total sales and are the key to how the hometown grocer keeps costs low as food and gas prices soar.
Enter to Win a 5-Minute Shopping Spree at Save A Lot
Starting tomorrow, savvy shoppers can enter to win Save A Lot’s “Spree For All,” a shopping spree that sends the winner home with everything they can fit in their cart in 5 minutes. Enter to win at https://savealot.com/sweepstakes/spree/ between June 22, 2022, and July 10, 2022.
About Save A Lot
Founded in 1977, Save A Lot is one of the largest discount grocery store chains in the U.S., with more than 850 stores in 32 states. Save A Lot remains true to its mission of being a hometown grocer, providing unmatched quality and value to local families. Customers enjoy significant savings compared to traditional grocery stores on great tasting, high quality private label brands, national brand products, USDA-inspected meat, farm-fresh fruits and vegetables, and other non-food items. For more information visit www.SaveALot.com and follow Save A Lot on Facebook (facebook.com/savealot), Twitter (@savealot), and Instagram or TikTok (@SaveALotFoodStores), or for more information on becoming a Save A Lot independent retail operator visit ownasavealot.com.
1. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer Price Index. Retrieved June 14, 2022.
2. Prices/discounts for Save A Lot private label items are based on prices at the St. Louis Save A Lot locations. Price comparisons for the national brand items shown are the lowest prices at representative Walmart and Walmart Neighborhood Markets and/or St. Louis Save A Lot locations during the period of 06/08/2022. Prices at individual stores may vary. Walmart and Walmart Neighborhood Markets may offer lower priced national products.
# # #
Save A Lot Celebrates Top Women in Grocery Winners
Save A Lot is proud to announce that 11 team members were named as Top Women in Grocery for 2022 by Progressive Grocer. For the past 16 years, Progressive Grocer has recognized the contributions of women in the grocery industry. More than 1,100 nominations were submitted from a variety of companies from retail, wholesale, consumer packaged goods, research and marketing sectors of the grocery industry. Save A Lot is proud to recognize these women for the work they do each day to help our Retail Partners, stores and our customers have a great shopping experience.
Save A Lot Recognizes 10 Retail Partners at Annual Meeting
Community commitment, inclusive culture and overall sales celebrated
ST. LOUIS – (June 14, 2022) Save A Lot, one of the largest discount grocery chains in the U.S., today announced the accomplishments of 10 of its Retail Partners, sharing the names of the owners and operators honored at the company’s first-ever Retail Partner Awards.
The awards, presented during the Company’s annual meeting and food show for store owners and operators in St. Charles, Mo., recognize stores and operating organizations with outstanding achievements through 2022. Awards were given across four categories: Year-over-year Sales Growth, year-over-year Customer Count Growth; “Hometown Hero”; and Retail Partner of the Year. Retail Partners were divided into groups based on the number of stores owned (1 to 5, 5 to 10 and 11+ locations
Award Winners: Sales Growth
1-4 Store Owner: Westland, MI, owned & operated by Andrew Sandiha
5 to 10 Store Owner: Pontiac, MI, owned & operated by the Rabban Brothers/Jimmy Rabban
11+ Store Owner:Wilmington, DE, owned & operated by Shawn Rinnier
Award Winners: Customer Count Growth
1-4 Store Owner: Westland, MI, owned & operated by Andrew Sandiha
5 to 10 Store Owner: Tupper Lake, NY, owned & operated by Jeff Proulx
11+ Store Owner: Murfreesboro, TN, owned & operated by Houchens Industries
Award Winner: Hometown Hero
As local owners and operators, Save A Lot Retail Partners often go above and beyond to demonstrate their commitment to and support of the communities they serve. The Hometown Hero award recognizes the Retail Partner who consistently demonstrates that a huge heart is a critical piece of the business.
Jenny Kute and Craig Oeswein were awarded the Save A Lot Hometown Hero Award for demonstrating outstanding commitment to and support of the community they serve, inside and outside of their Louisville, KY store. Oeswein and Kute are a husband and wife ownership team known for building community across the area. They both serve on charitable boards—three between the two of them—addressing needs from food insecurity, education, and emergency assistance for neighbors.
Kyle Myers, operator of the Tracy City, Tenn., Save A Lot location was awarded Retail Partner of the Year for owners of 1-4 stores. Myers is a second-generation store owner who represents the ethos of Save A Lot: the ability to own and run your business while making a lasting impact on your community. His father opened the store in 1993 and ran it until Kyle purchased the store 16 years ago. Today he is actively engaged in the day-to-day business, setting high standards in service, regionally relevant merchandising, and best-in-class operational standards.
The Leppink Group, who own and operate six Save A Lot locations across southern and western Michigan were recognized as Retail Partner of the Year for owners of 5-10 stores. Led by an executive team made up of seasoned retail veterans, Leppink’s Group was honored for their ability to keep their stores running smoothly while remaining fully engaged in all aspects of the business and driving outstanding results. Particularly notable is the group’s drive to create an inclusive work culture. They do this by ensuring team members have a voice in decision making and can often be found working alongside store associates, adopting a “roll up your sleeves” mentality.
Freeman Family Enterprises was recognized as Retail Partner of the Year for owners of 11 or more stores. Owners and siblings Tim, Tom and Paul Freeman are third generation retailers who operate under the philosophy that running a great store means taking care of your people and the rest will come. To do this, the company’s executive team is in stores daily talking with associates, maintaining an open door and phone policy where store management teams and associates can call or email anytime.
“It was an honor to recognize these Retail Partners at our Annual Meeting and Food Show,” said Leon Bergmann, Chief Executive Officer, Save A Lot. “All of them have a commitment to their customers and communities. They and their teams work hard to ensure their communities have what they need and we’re proud to recognize them as best-in-class retailers.”
About Save A Lot
Founded in 1977, Save A Lot is one of the largest discount grocery store chains in the U.S., with approximately 900 stores in 32 states. Save A Lot remains true to its mission of being a hometown grocer, providing unmatched quality and value to local families. Customers enjoy significant savings compared to traditional grocery stores on great tasting, high quality private label brands, national brand products, USDA-inspected meat, farm-fresh fruits and vegetables, and other non-food items. For more information visit www.SaveALot.com and follow Save A Lot on Facebook (facebook.com/savealot) and Instagram or TikTok (@SaveALotFoodStores), or for more information on becoming a Save A Lot independent retail operator visit ownasavealot.com.
Save A Lot:
Director of PR & Community Engagement
Summer Party Prep
It is just us, or does summer feel like the official season of good food? Whether you are firing up burgers, brats or sweet corn on the grill this summer, we think Americans can agree, there’s something special (and oh so delicious) about a summer cookout. Grab your friends, family and neighbors and let Save A Lot help make this summer full of big savings and big flavors.
Fresh Cut Meat in Store
What makes meat even better – when it’s cut fresh in store by our meat cutters. At Save A Lot, it’s what we’re known (and loved for) by our customers.
- Baby Back Ribs – Rub some of our Marcum Gourmet Coffee Rub on those ribs and you’ll never cook them another way again.
- USDA Beef –If you’re looking for a unique cut, our meat cutters have you covered. Whether it’s brisket, shank or short loin, our in-store team is ready to work with you to ensure you have the perfect cut for your party.
- Pork Loin – Another crowd pleaser that can be seasoned with spices or smothered in sauce.
Making Meat Easier
If you aren’t quite ready to season, sauce and prepare fresh cut meat, we’ve still got lots of easy options to enjoy.
- Market Selections Pork Baby Back Ribs – Delicious pork ribs packaged in BBQ sauce and ready for its debut on the grill – these pre-marinated ribs are as easy as 1-2-3, making anyone feel like a grill master.
- Market Selections BBQ Pulled Chicken – Make the meat served at your next get together super delicious and super easy. Just throw this one in the microwave and in minutes it’s ready to enjoy.
- Bar S Classic Franks – Looking for an easy way to feed a lot of people? Just throw these delicious dogs right on the grill.
We know meat is the main course for some, but for others, those summertime veggies and fruits are where it’s at. At Save A Lot, we’re all about the fresh produce.
- Sweet Corn – This summer staple is sure to please everyone. Take your flavors up a notch by throwing some garlic salt in your butter before you grill it. You won’t regret it.
- Zucchini – Whether you slice them into coins, dice them into cubes or chop them into spears, zucchini on the grill is delicious.
- Watermelon – Everyone knows about cutting up this summertime fruit and serving it as is. But hear us out on this one…try throwing it on the grill. Just put some sugar, salt and lime zest in a bowl. Stir it and then sprinkle on top of freshly sliced pieces. Let the watermelon sit for 15 minutes before throwing it on the grill for 2-3 minutes – just long enough to get those grill marks.
Up Your Flavor Game
Now that you’ve got your fresh cut meat picked out, fruits and veggies decided, make sure to have the right spices and sauces on hand.
- Kurtz BBQ Sauce – Whether you’re looking for sweet and spicy or an original BBQ sauce, our Kurtz’s line of sauces is sure to have something for everyone. Honey BBQ, Hickory and Sweet & Spicy taste great on just about anything.
- Marcum Spices – Take up your flavor game by having our Marcum Rubs handy this summer. Gourmet Chicken, Gourmet Steak & Chop and Gourmet Burger are just a few of the spices that pair perfectly with summer.
- Kurtz Salad Dressings – Adding these dressings to summer salads is a go-to. But what about adding them to your favorite sides? We’re thinking our Kurtz’s Bacon Ranch Dressing would go great with those grilled zucchini spears. Get out there and explore new flavor combinations.
Your main course is picked out, your sides and spices are in your cart and now it’s time for the finale…dessert. Here are some ideas:
- Ice Cream – I scream, you scream….the only thing better than ice cream is a GALLON of it. Stock up for an ice cream social or a fun neighborhood gathering by grabbing one of our World’s Fair gallons! Trust us…it won’t go to waste!
- Toppings – Hot fudge, caramel, nuts…need we say more? Save A Lot’s World Fair brand has all your favorite ice cream toppings no matter what you’re in to!
So there you have it, Save A Lot’s starter guide for summer. We encourage our customers to explore our flavors in unique and fun ways to make this summer one to remember.